How to Uninstall Unbuntu (Linux) from a Dual Boot System
from wikiHow – The How to Manual That You Can Edit
You have Ubuntu or other Linux OS on your dual booted Windows PC and you want an easy way to remove Ubuntu/Linux, and here it is.
- You need to be in windows, (this is an .exe) and download this file http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html This program does cost money however, obtaining a free utility has been elusive.
- When downloaded, run the setup.
- Make a bootable floppy or cd, either choice works. (The cd option makes a cd .iso image so you will need a program to burn it to the cd.)
- Next you will restart your computer with the cd or floppy in the drive. Once you boot into the program do not install it to your HDD.
- Click cancel to run the program from your cd or floppy.
- Go to partition work. Click the oval on the left side of the window (yes you can use your mouse!) to go to your primary hdd.
- Select and delete every partition except for your standard windows partition. Now you should have a formatless partition that says free space after it.
- Select your windows partition and click resize. The program will run an error check which may take a while depending on your partition size.
- Type in the largest size in the prompt unless you have other plans for some of that space. Once you do that the program will allocate all that space back to your primary partition.
- If you installed grub the bootloader, you will need to reset your MBR (master boot record) or else you can’t boot up because grub will crash. Select your windows partition
- Go to view MBR on the left.
- Select your windows partition and click STD MBR. This will remove grub and set your MBR back to its original state.
- Click apply and the changes will take affect.
- Eject your media and use the file option at the top left to reboot. Your computer should restart normally into windows.
- Be sure to make a backup or copy of your MBR prior to any changes.
- BootItNG is not a free program.
Things You’ll Need
- CD/DVD burning software
- Unarchiving (.zip) program
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Uninstall Unbuntu (Linux) from a Dual Boot System. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.